Starting another damascus steel and copper lanyard bead. Here I’m lathe turning the grenade body out of Geoff Keyes Damascus steel. I’ve spent some time step drilling the 1/4 inch diameter hole through the center. Damascus steel, since it’s made of many, many stacks of different kinds of steel isn’t the nicest stuff to drill…
Here I’m cutting the grenade body from the rest of the damascus steel. I’ve planned ahead, and the waste material from this bead will become another one in the future. Damascus steel is expensive, so I work hard to use as little as possible.
Above, I’ve cut the grenade handle and top from a thick bar of copper, and have spent a LOT of time cutting the male threads on the grenade body. I’ll use the tap in the picture to cut the female threads through the copper grenade top.
And here are the two parts screwed together. It’s very surprising how much time and effort it took to cut the two sets of threads – I don’t think I’ll try this again – far too much time and effort for what I’ll be able to sell it for…even though being able to disassemble it and play with is really cool!
Now I’ve got to cut the vertical grooves on the grenade body…the horizontal grooves were easy, since I turned them in place on the lathe. I start by cutting (very deeply!) vertical grooves with a wide V graver. There are six of these grooves, equally spaced around the circumference.
Now to etch the damascus steel grenade body with ferric chloride to reveal the damascus goodness within. I’ve used a masking agent to cover the threads and my signature reserve so they won’t be harmed by the etching.
All of the various pieces. The copper thing on the right is what I call a “dangler.” That passes through the central hole of the bead, so it can be strung on a leather cord as a pendant instead of a lanyard bead.
Thanks for Looking!