Using a small drum sander, I’m carving in the flake scars that would be left from knapping stone blades… 1075 carbon steel blade, one of several elements yet to come for a small reliquary art project.
After creating the tiny “knapped steel” blade for my reliquary art project, it’s time to begin the next element, a tiny copper and silver press-formed hummingbird skull. I’ve already formed the copper skull (more info on that here: http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?p=3960 ). These images show some of the steps to create a tiny silver helmet that will fit perfectly on the copper skull.
Trimming the silver helmet from its pressed shape for the copper hummingbird skull reliquary art project. I fill the helmet with pitch, and use a small carbide ball bur to cut away the unwanted parts. It’s easier than using a jeweler’s saw on this difficult shape…
Forging the beak closed and chasing details into the copper hummingbird skull reliquary art project. You can see the tiny chasing tools I used in my Lindsay Nitro G20 Airgraver. I decided on mummified hummingbird eyes this time. Eeeeewww…
Fabricating the copper and bronze stand for the hummingbird skull reliquary project. I have to finish fabricating the individual elements before I can do the CNC modeling for the reliquary box and lid.
CNC milling the lower container for the hummingbird skull reliquary project. The wood is bocote, and the container still needs to be trimmed from the excess wood.
CNC milling the phosphor bronze lid for the hummingbird skull reliquary project. The bronze lid still needs to be trimmed from the excess metal.
Finally! The major parts of the hummingbird skull reliquary project are fabricated and assembled. Now on to engraving and detailing the skull and the reliquary lid…
CNC milling the lower container for the hummingbird skull reliquary project. The wood is bocote, and the container still needs to be trimmed form the
Thanks for Looking!